Possibly save 1 hour of your time: There are times when you have to set up your website during development to use https. Please see a reason from my previous article Chrome requires https for input text fields.
Create self signed certificate
- Under IIS > select main instance > select Server Certificates in the middle pane
- Right click and choose Create Self-Signed Certificate…
- Enter friendly name for the certificate.
Bind your site to the self signed certificate
- Under IIS > Sites > select your website > on the right pane Actions select Bindings
- On Site Bindings window > click Add
- Add Site Binding
That is it. You should be able to hit https on your website. You will still get unsecure message from the browser as it is not a real certificate.